The international French football award, Ballon d’Or, has taken its first official step into the web3 space with an NFT collection. This NFT collection is based on pyrite, the stone that forms the trophy’s base. This stone has been digitalized as it takes on exceptional properties around this special football ceremony.
The Ballon d’Or winners received the digitized form of their award in addition to the plaque presented to them during the ceremony. As documented on the dedicated website for NFT Ballon d’Or, the sale of the NFT, 2022 Pyrite fragment collection will be opened for public sale on the 23rd of October 2022; Six days after the award ceremony.
Before the ceremony, three rounds of public sales had taken place. This auction started on the 15th of September 2022 and ended on the 17th of September 2022.
The NFT is based on the Tezos blockchain. Tezos blockchain was chosen to improve the speed and reduce the cost and complexity of transactions. The creation of the smart contracts was handled by blockchain experts Premiere gallery while this was supervised by Nomadic lab.
Holders of pyrite NFTs will get the chance to experience “live this exceptional event alongside the world’s greatest players. They will have a front-row seat to witness this historic moment. Their adventure will continue in a grand hotel to enjoy the capital’s lights in the best conditions.”
In addition to all these, holders of the Ballon D’or collection enjoy the following;
- Pyrite fragment designed by Léo Caillard.
- Promo code on the L’Equipe shop and digital subscriptions to L’Equipe and France Football.
- Voting right on the crypto artist of the potential next Ballon d’Or NFT
- Voting right on the potential orientations of the Ballon d’Or in the web world3.
- Whitelist on potential future NFT drops Ballon d’Or and L’Equipe.
- Preview of the documentary about the 2022 Ballon d’Or.
- Digital version of the 2022 Ballon d’Or® issue of France Football.
- Access to partners’ whitelists
Holders of the second collection – 202 pyrite fragment NFT collection get access to the following:
- Round-trip transportation for two people from the country of origin to Paris.
- VIP transport for two people to the Théâtre du Chatelet with arrival on the red carpet.
- Two exceptional seats in the first rows to attend the 66th Ballon d’Or ceremony.
- Access for two people to the cocktail party before the ceremony alongside the delegations at the Théâtre du Chatelet.
- Access for two to the cocktail party at the Théâtre du Chatelet after the ceremony.
- A room for two people at the players’ hotel on the night of the ceremony.
- A gourmet restaurant for two in Paris.
The NFT can be bought using the $XTZ token. The starting bid for an NFT is 635tz.
There is the mass adoption of blockchain and web3 in the football world. This can be seen from the creation of fan tokens, launching NFT marketplaces, partnership with Web3 gaming apps, ambassadorial deals with football legends and now the use of NFTs in Ballon d’Or ceremonies.
Web3 is of no doubt the future.
What do you think of this article? Share your comments below.